5.20.2011

Big City

Ok... so the major differences between living in a city like Lewisville, Texas and living in cities like Seoul, S. Korea or Central, Hong Kong is definitely, top of the list, the sounds. Typical morning in Lewisville when I would wake up would be maybe the sound of car horn.. maybe the sound of some one in the street talking annoying loud on their cell phone... but more than likely probably there would be no sounds... Hong Kong on a typical morning... Jackhammers... lots and lots of jackhammering... It doesn't necessarily wake me up in the morning but oh does it ever keep me away once I do finally open my eyes.

This, of course, is the trade off you get for living in a city with 7 million other people in it. On many levels I can appreciate the sounds... its the sound of progress and of a city that used to be just another UK property becoming a major focal center for the world.. Its a sign of growth and that even though the economy might be awful in America it definitely is on the rise in Asia. But on the flip side of it... it does make me appreciate the times I got to go to my grandpa's house in Minnesota and sit outside and hear nothing but horses and birds...

Maybe one day if I ever find myself living in the country I'll look back and miss the days of the jackhammers....


...but probably not.

No comments: