12.24.2011

Diversity is not a small wooden ship


When I saw this Chinese guy dressed in an Irish Kilt playing bagpipes it made me think...

I am 27 years old... I have a Jewish first name, Irish middle name, and a Jewish last name. I am not jewish nor irish. I am Korean born American who was raised in Texas currently living in Hong Kong. My second language is spanish, and I love italian food. I grew up in a Mexican neighborhood where I went to a predominately caucasian private school.

If you were to ask me a year ago if I knew what diversity meant I would have said yes. From my mini-biography I have just written I think you would have to agree I am very experienced with diversity, that was until March of 2011 when I flew away to Asia to become an expat for Abercrombie & Fitch.

Living in Hong Kong, I have grown deeper as a person to understanding what diversity really means. Hong Kong is the epic version of diversity. Chinese, Indian, French, Swiss, English, Hispanic... take your pick and you can easily find them in Hong Kong. Yes, Hong Kong has many Chinese who speak Cantonese; and yes, Hong Kong is now a Chinese territory. But to limit your thoughts to just that would be ignorant. In Hong Kong you can find any type of food you want, and meet practically any race you wish.

To me diversity is, yes, difference amongst people from color of skin to educational backgrounds , but being diverse means opening up your mind to these differences and realizing no matter how much you think you may know... you really have only touched the tip of the iceberg and that to really experience diversity means to travel and see it for yourself.

No comments: