6.07.2011

The tortoise vs the hare


When I think of big cities I think New York city... I think LA... The hustle and bustle of the bigness of the city. The people acting like an organism that functions at a high rate of speed with everyone in a hurry.... Running... Pushing... Always acting like they are late to the biggest meeting of their lives.

I arrive in Hong Kong on April 20th... And I have to admit beyond a shadow of a doubt... That is not the case here amongst the locals. As soon as I step out of my apartment my goal is to get to Point B from Point A as fast as humanly possible without having to actually run. Yet as soon as I step out of my apartment building I'm met by road blocks... And not objects and cars but by people who don't (evidently) have any particular place to be... Just walking.... Slowly walking... Very slowly walking to get to wherever they may need to go. Its insane! I don't get how a city of 7 mil people can run one of the largest cities in the world at the pace they go at. For those of you who come from Texas you know that even Texas in it's more chill laid back lifestyle still moves at a good clip...

The oddest part is that it works here... There are LV stores on every corner, Hugo boss in every mall, Armani in every major district, and money is thrown around as if it were monopoly cash. "$20k to buy that? k here ya go.."

So when it comes down to it...maybe slow and steady does win the race... Or maybe I just need to stop and look around... Maybe I'm the one missing something.

Well gotta go....

1 comment:

Athena Shi said...

Yo! First time reading your blog & I’m very surprise that you saw “slow people” in HK!
Well, I rarely see HK people walk slowly. I thought it really depends on the area, and the time that you go out...