12.27.2011

Lack of Sleep

As I write this blog I have just worked 3 overnight shifts at my store in Hong Kong. These aren't just any normal overnight 8 hour shifts, but ridiculously long 6pm-7,8,10am shifts. Meaning, I have put in over 40 hours in just 3 days. Don't misunderstand me, I am not complaining about these shifts, but more wanted to make observations about how your mind functions and how your body feels when sleep is deprived from it.

I have done these overnight shifts a lot since I have arrived in Hong Kong. 2-4 every week to be exact. My brain starts to really go into alternative zoned out mode once I reach day 3. I am right now definitely feeling the side affects of no sleep. Reason why I know this is not because I am tired.. which I am... and not because my body feels funny... which it does.

No, the reason why I know I have reached this point is because at this stage I seriously start to hallucinate. These hallucinations aren't what you see in the movies/tv shows. Where your main character has vivid life life scenes played where at the end of it he realizes its not real but some how his subconscious has managed to tell him some hidden truth that he must learn to either... win the love of his life back.... defeat the villain... or just simply come to some sort of realization.

No... my hallucinations are freaky... I seriously see people out of the corners of my eye... not ghosts... or demons... or anything really dark... but people that may be currently in the same area as me but for some reason my mind is playing a type of rerun scene and i see them walk behind me... or move next to me.

To you, reader, you probably think I am just being oddly paranoid, but I can guarantee you that my mind does see these things which aren't there. I go to see where that person may be going but come to a corner where no one is at only to walk around and find that worker in a room on the other side of the store.

Truth be told this is really disturbing and I honestly hate it. Its like having my own personal haunted house but definitely not make me jump scary.. just kind of freak me out.

I would go to sleep now and get my 8 hours in... but I have to be at my manager meeting in 1 hour, so I will take a shower clean up and head back in.

No comments: