6.17.2011

Its not a small world.. after all....


Today... I went to the Dragonboat Carnival in TST (Tsim Sha Tsui). I honestly don't understand the fun aspect of watching people race in a small boat to the beat of a drum. Just a couple of days ago the Dallas Mavericks won their first NBA championship. Now that to me is excitement. Alot more skill is involved in basketball then there is in dragonboat races. Yet, this is the 2nd dragonboat race I've attended and people fill the stands just to watch this.

My theory behind this is that because there is no significant sport besides soccer in Hong Kong that everyone turns out for these boat races. Now there are other sports that people play.... basketball, rugby, soccer, tennis... but none of these except soccer are huge sporting events in which everyone attends. I guess I just don't understand the excitement of watching these races. Maybe I'm just being ignorant.

At the races I met a new friend who was from France, its very enlightening meeting new people from all over the world. It helps put things into perspective.. So many times growing up in America I tend to think of America as the only place there is. I thought the world was backwards and different. After living in Korea & Hong Kong... I've come to realize that its America who are backwards and different. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying, I love America. Its my home, but truth be told we Americans live a very backwards and sheltered life. Here in Hong Kong many people are from other countries or finish school in other countries... in America we stay very close to our home towns and rarely leave the state except for vacations.

I find it amazing how little I really knew of the world. Even though I traveled all over the world back when I worked at a church I still find what I thought I knew a small drop in the bucket of what there really is. I guess what I'm trying to say is that for those who think they know the world and think they know what's out there.. until you venture out and see it, experience it, live it... you really dont know. Take a risk... see what's out there... it could change your life.

No comments: